Adam Carpets Timeline
• 1869 Mr. Adam and Mr. Tomkinson join together to manufacture carpet
• 1926 Adam Carpets is formed on the current site in Kidderminster
• 1979 Adam cease making woven Axminster and start tufting carpet
• 1991 Fine Worcester Twist is first produced
• 1992 Adam Carpets becomes first UK manufacturer to produce 5m wide carpet
• 1997 Kasbah Twist is launched
• 1999 Overtufted, patterned, wool tufted carpet is produced for the first time
• 2002 Adam Carpets purchase Servo Loop machine to produce Natural Perceptions
• 2003 Adam Carpets start to use some of its own vehicles to deliver to customers
• 2007 Mr. Chris Adam succeeds his father Mr. David Adam as Managing Director and becomes fourth generation of family to run Adam Carpets
• 2010 Adam Carpets purchase new high speed tufting machine for even better production of Fine Worcester Twist
• 2012 Adam Carpets launch new logo
• 2013 Artistry range wins Silver Award in Best Carpet Category at House Beautiful Awards
• 2014 Adam Carpets win Outstanding performance award in Interiors Monthly magazine
• 2014 Adam Carpets look to the long term future after six figure sum investment in two new boilers for on site dye house
• 2015 Hugo & Ella collection launched to critical acclaim as part of Fine Worcester Twist
• 2015 Adam Carpets win Best UK Flooring Manufacturer at Interior Monthly magazine awards
• 2016 Fine Worcester Twist celebrates 25 years in production
• 2017 Castlemead Twist becomes the first 2-ply carpet to receive Platinum certification from British Wool
The History of Adam Carpets
This partnership lasted until 1926, when the Adam family left the partnership and built a new factory a mile away, again making Spool Axminster patterned carpet.
By the end of the 1970s, the growth in tufted production and sales had impacted on carpet weavers, so Adam Carpets moved into tufting and eventually closed the weaving side of their business.
The tufting was successful, led by colour, design, style and quality, and the company grew serving both the retail and the commercial sectors. With its own dye house on the same site, special colours for Contract projects were immediately available, and this continues today.
In 1991, Adam Carpets launched Fine Worcester Twist. This product was made to the highest specification for a domestic twist and it has since become almost as famous as Adam Carpets itself. Fine Worcester Twist is regarded by many in the trade as the finest Twist pile carpet available. This year it celebrates its 21st birthday.
The nineties continued to see Adam Carpets push the boundaries of carpet manufacturing.
In 1992, they opened a new 5 metre wide backing plant, whilst at the same time extending the width on their tufting machines. The result was that Adam Carpets became the first UK manufacturer to produce 5 metre wide carpet.
Adam Carpets wanted to stretch themselves further in terms of carpet manufacture. Kasbah Twist was introduced and immediately became an instant success. Its unique 5/32 gauge gave it a look and feel that no one else could match. Kasbah Twist remains highly successful today, once again proving Adam Carpets knack for producing carpets with style and longevity.
During 1999, Adam Carpets bought an overtuft machine which increased their reputation as innovators within the industry. They were able to make a plain ground carpet and then send it through the overtuft machine, where a pattern was tufted into the plain ground. Adam Carpets were now able to offer a wool patterned carpet at a fraction of the price of a woven one. That first range was Inspirations and it is still made today.
In 2002, another new machine was purchased. This time is was a new style loop machine that ran with Servo motors. This enabled the carpet to have different pile heights across the width, over 100 in fact. This was the only machine of its type within the northern hemisphere. Natural Perceptions was the first range produced and it remains unique to this day.
Adam Carpets is well known for its quality products and serves the mid to upper sector of the market. It’s strapline of Colour, Quality and Style certainly reflects the company ethos, as its main lines can offer up to 65 colours, it predominantly uses 80/20 wool/nylon blends in its ranges and it’s ranges have accumulated many awards and accolades over the years. The most recent seeing it’s Boulevard range shortlisted for Best Carpet at the 2011 House Beautiful Awards.The factory where all Adam Carpets products are made has modern, high quality manufacturing equipment. They also deliver most of the carpets on their own vehicles direct to retail and commercial customers in England, Scotland and Wales.
Adam Carpets introduce a new logo, corporate colour and website to keep ahead of the competition. New colours are launched in Castlemead Twist and Castlemead Velvet Stripe. Catherine becomes the companies fourth overtuft range and becomes an instant success story including being nominated for Best Carpet by House Beautiful.
The long term future of the company is in mind as Adam Carpets invest heavily in two new boilers for its on site dye house, plus new delivery vehicles and new beaming machine for the factory. New ranges are launched with Artistry and Marquette Plaid.
The ‘Hugo & Ella’ collection are launched into the Fine Worcester range to critical acclaim by the trade press. This new way of marketing carpets takes the industry by storm and leads to many similar campaigns. Adam Carpets remain ahead of the game and competition and the new collection receives he ultimate interiors compliment as Pantone announce their ‘colours of the year 2016’ten months after the launch of Hugo & Ella and are very similar in shade.
Adam Carpets iconic twist range, Fine Worcester, celebrates its 25th anniversary. As popular today as ever, this wonderful range is often described as the benchmark by which all others are measured.
The tradition of family ownership and management continues to this day, with the fourth generation Chris Adam, Managing Director.The continuity of traditional family values coupled with modern machinery and high quality raw materials provides customers with high quality and good value carpet – a standard which Adam Carpets are determined to maintain.